How can I help?
What is counselling and why do I need it?
Counselling is a process whereby the therapist is able to guide and support their client to work on situations or issues in their lives that have become a problem to them. During the counselling process, the client is able to discuss and explore different ways of coping of dealing with the issues that is causing them concern.
You may feel lost, alone, depressed, anxious, going through a difficult time in your life and not sure which way to turn or cannot see a way out of your problems, talking to a counsellor could help.
Here are some of the issues you may be going through:-
- Sexual abuse
- Death of a loved one
- Death of a much loved pet
- Subject to Bullying or Abuse
- Low Self-Esteem – feelings of not being good enough
- Feeling Depressed or Under Stress
- Feeling Anxious – sweaty palms, butterflies in your tummy, lack of sleep
- Trauma – including PTSD and trauma connection with pregnancy or birth
- Relationship Breakdown
- Experienced a recent shock and not knowing how to cope with it
- Maybe you are unable to pin down the reason and are feeling lonely, stuck, lacking concentration or struggling to cope and feel that everything is getting you down
Choosing the right counsellor is an important decision and they have to be right for you and have the necessary experience to help you with your issues. It is important to feel at ease with your counsellor so that you can have the necessary degree of trust to enable you to talk openly about the things that are deeply personal to you.
That is why I feel it is important to have an initial extended consultation lasting 90 minutes, as that will give you the opportunity to talk about what is leading you to counselling and discuss how you might benefit from it. During this time, we can discuss how the sessions progress and what you can expect from me. We will also discuss whether you need short intervention therapy or if your problems are more deeply seated. If that is the case you may require further therapy which goes deeper into your issues.